The taxonomy filter allows configuring filters for categories, tags, attributes, and custom taxonomies. Let’s analyze all the available options.
- Filter name: type the name that will define the filter;
- Filter for: select Taxonomy;
- Choose taxonomy: select the taxonomy that will be applied to this filter;
- Choose terms: based on the taxonomy selected, you will be able to add the terms to be used for filtering. In the image above, we have used product categories.
- Filter type: types available are: checkbox, radio, select, text, color swatches, and label/image.
CHECKBOX & TEXT
By selecting Checkbox or Text, you will have the possibility to customize each term label and tooltip.
- Order by: you can choose how to sort terms shown in the filter by name, slug, term count, and term order. When selecting Term order, you will also be able to change the position of the terms in Customize terms by drag and drop;
- Order type: choose the default order for terms from ASC (ascending) and DESC (descending);
- Show count of items: enable if you want to show the number of items available for each term;
- Show hierarchy: this ordering applies to hierarchical taxonomy levels. By selecting No, show all terms in same level, the hierarchy won’t show and only the terms in the same level will;
by selecting No, show only parent terms, the hierarchy won’t show and only the terms in the same level will;
by selecting Yes, with terms collapsed, the hierarchy will show and terms will be collapsed;
by selecting Yes, with terms expanded, the hierarchy will show and terms will be opened;
by selecting Yes, without toggles, the hierarchy will show but without toggles.
Based on the selection made in the Order by option, the ordering of the terms will apply level by level starting from parent terms.
- Allow multiple selection: by enabling this option, users will be able to select multiple terms when filtering products;
- Multiselect relation: by selecting AND, filter results will show only if all selected terms match at the same time; by selecting OR, filter results will show only if at least one of the selected terms matches.
- Adoptive filtering: this option allows you to choose to hide terms with no results or show them but without being clickable (see image below), based on the number of products and categories selected.
Same options as for Checkbox except for Allow multiple selection and Multiselect relation since radio allows selecting only one option at a time.
Same options as for Checkbox except for Show hierarchy since it is not possible to show hierarchy structure inside the select body.
Moreover, it adds the option Show search field which, if enabled, shows a search field that allows users to filter product terms directly from the dropdown.
By selecting Color swatches, you will need to enter the number of items per row that you want to show in the option Columns number, then in Customize terms you can add color or image to each term.
By selecting Label/Image, you will need to enter the number of items per row that you want to show in the option Columns number, then in Customize terms you can add an image for each term.