Let’s see how to manage the payment options for your pre-orders.
In the tab Payment options, you will find two important settings you can use based on the solution that better suits your needs.
- Charge pre-orders: choose when customers will be charged when pre-ordering your products from:
- Upfront – when the user pre-orders the product: by selecting this option, customers will pay for the products when they place the pre-order;
- Upon release – automatically after the product release (a supported payment gateway is required): by selecting this option, customers will be automatically charged as soon as the pre-order product becomes available. To work properly, you need to use at least one of the supported gateways which are: YITH Stripe, YITH Stripe Connect, YITH PayPal Braintree, and WooCommerce Stripe;
- Pay Later gateway – manually after the product release (the customer will receive an email and will be redirected to the Checkout page to pay: by selecting this option, customers will be able to manually pay for the pre-order products after their release through the payment link received by email.
Since these settings can be overridden at the product level, if users add two or more pre-order products for which different payment options have been set, an error message will show on the Cart page.
Pay later gateway
The plugin includes the gateway YITH Pre-Order Pay Later which allows your customers to manually pay for the products they have pre-ordered after their release or when they become available. To activate and use this gateway in your shop, go to WooCommerce > Settings > Payments.
By clicking on the Manage button, you will be able to set a few simple options:
- Enable/Disable: through this option, you can enable or disable the YITH Pre-Order Pay Later gateway;
- Label: enter the label that will define the gateway on the Checkout page;
- Description: enter the text customer will see as the payment method description;
- Order status for pre-orders placed with the Pay Later gateway: choose the order status to apply to pre-orders when using the Pay later gateway. Any changes to this option won’t affect the pre-orders placed so far.
Here is a sample of what the checkout will look like when using the Pay later gateway.