As soon as you activate the plugin, a new shipping method is automatically created and it will be used to apply the shipping rules you create.
The total cart amount is equal to the sum of costs associated with all applying rules.
Please, note: you can only apply one rule per each product in the cart.
To learn more about how to manage the priority, we suggest you read the first page of this guide.
The plugin allows creating general or specific rules and applying them to all or selected products in the shop. Let’s see how this works.
How to create general rules?
All the general shipping rules have to be created in the “Global shipping costs” section from the menu YITH Plugins > Product shipping.
By selecting the “Product Variations” option, you can enable rules for each product variation (note: this will increase loading time).
Each rule is on a new line.
Let’s look into each single rule configuration parameter:
- Single product quantity: minimum and maximum product quantity in the cart as a condition for the rule to apply.
- Cart total price: minimum and maximum cart amount. The rule does not apply if the total cart amount falls outside the specified values.
- Categories: enter the product categories that you want to associate with the rule. Leave it empty if you want to include all existing categories.
- Tags: enter all the product tags that you want to associate with the rule. Leave it empty if you want to include all existing categories.
- Country, State and Postal Code: use these fields if you want to associate the rule with a specific shipping zone. By default, the rule applies to users worldwide.
- Shipping cost: fee added to the cart if the shipping rule applies.
- Product cost: fee added to the cart for each product unit in the cart.
The shipping cost is calculated as the sum of shipping cost and product cost associated with the rule.
Create product rules
The plugin allows creating custom shipping rules both for simple and variable products.
Open the product page, click on the “Shipping Costs” tab and check the option “Enable Shipping Costs”.
As for general rules, you’ll be able to configure the rule using the above-mentioned parameters.
Product rules always take priority over general rules.
If you are working on a variable product, you can choose one of the following options:
- create product rules that apply to all the product variations: click on the “Shipping Costs” tab and configure the rules.
- create rules for each single variation: select the variation, enable the option “Custom shipping costs” and create your custom shipping rules.
Rules applied to a product variation always take priority over rules applied to variable products.
The plugin applies a shipping cost to each product, yet, this varies according to the rule that applies on the product.
A rule applies only if all the conditions set are met, that is:
- the product quantity has to fall within the specified range
- the total cart amount has to fall within the specified price range
- user country, city and zip code have to match the ones specified in the rule
What if more than one rule applies to the same product?
Only one rule per product applies, so, even if there is more than one rule that could potentially apply to the same product only the first one in the list (from top to bottom) applies.
Rules are processed according to the following priority order:
- Rules on product variations (for variable products only)
- Rules on products
- General rules
As soon as the system finds a rule that applies to the product, the shipping cost is applied to the cart.
The priority order can be edited by simply dragging and dropping the rules.
The priority order is from top to bottom, that is the higher that rule, the higher priority it has.
The plugin allows showing a custom message on the product page.
A general message can be set from YITH Plugins > Product Shipping and is shown on every product.
The text of the general message can be overridden from any product page.